Wednesday, March 14, 2012

You win some, you lose some

So, now that I’ve been here for a few weeks, I’m clearly an expert at all things German, right? Ha! That’s a big, fat joke. Yes, while things are getting a little easier, they are still way hard. It’s interesting, because something that would have been second nature in the U.S.—ordering a coffee, going grocery shopping, cooking dinner, cleaning the bathroom—all require a hell of a lot more brain power. I’ve survived using pictures, which have led me astray in some instances. For example, I may have cleaned the mirror in my bathroom with toilet cleaner…I don’t know. All I know is my mirror is now worse off than it was before.

So, this general feeling of exhaustion is causing a little bit of a damper in my life, but I’m trying to take it in stride. I would be lying if I said it wasn’t a little overwhelming at times. And I may have cried a few tears over the bathroom incident. But, hey, I’m human.

Anyway, there are a few small victories that I’ve taken tremendous joy in…and one small snafu that I know you all will find hilarious.

First…the victories!

Blackberry – 0, Katie – 1
Yes, I defeated my Blackberry. When I arrived the admin for our group handed me my brand new German BB…and then said, but you can’t get email on it and IT has no solutions. What? You see, even though I’m living here for two years, I’m still on all the U.S. servers. So, not only does this mean it takes my computer 15 minutes to boot up in the morning, but it also means that my German-configured BB cannot access the U.S. server. Thus…I have to carry two work BBs PLUS my own personal cell phone. Total crap. So, after complaining about this in my head and then possibly out loud a time or two, one of the guys I work with in the States told me to just load the software. You know, the stuff they put in the box that I’ve always ignored before because IT handles all that stuff for you? And it worked!!! When that first email came through on my new phone, I literally stood up, raised my hands above my head and shouted “YES!” To which, of course, my office mate just shook his head. He has had to do this a lot.

I have the fanciest (and most complicated) headset known to man
The headset literally has its own touch screen interface. No joke. So of course I’m totally amped to look like the fanciest telemarketer ever! Only problem…instructions are in German and I have no idea how to use my desk phone. Seriously, I was trying to call someone for 20 minutes one day. Finally, I gave up and sent an email. So, this is where pictures, and some patience, came into play…oh yeah, and a little help from my German buddy in the States, Juergen. Again, victory over technology. This never happened in the U.S. Maybe forced out of my comfort zone I am an IT wizard.

The bahn…oh, the bahn
I have to say, I’m actually pretty impressed with how easy this was. I needed to take the train about an hour and a half away from Munich to Erlangen (aka, Siemens World). Sounds complicated, but I only made one mistake. Of course, the mistake was I sat in someone else’s seat…and that person did not speak English. That was an interesting discussion bright and early on Friday morning. But, I learned how to find a seat that is not reserved, and as I type this I am currently sitting comfortably in my non-reserved seat on the way back to Erlangen (again). No snafus this morning, thus, I count this as a victory.

Now for the not so glamorous moment…

Windows open how?
The windows in our office are a bit complicated. They open a variety of different ways and are like 400 pounds. So a couple Fridays ago it got really hot in my office. I had seen my office mate Thomas open the window the previous day, so I thought “I can totally figure this out.” And I did. I opened the window. It seems so ridiculous when I type it, but you have to see this window.

Anyway, the day went on without any issues at all and when it came time to leave, I put my coat on and went to close the window. Next thing I know, the window has fallen off the track and I’m holding up this giant, 400 lb, awkward window. Shit! Way to go American girl…first week in the office and you’ve broken the window. And it’s 4:30 p.m. on a Friday, no less.

So, my first thought is, I let go and this sucker’s going down. My second thought is, even if I could reach the phone I still don’t know how to use it. And even if I did, I have no idea who to call. My third thought was, man, this is going to be a long weekend and I’m already hungry. Needless to say, it was the thought of starvation that gave me the strength to jam the window onto the track just enough so that I could run (arms flailing) down the hall to my colleague’s office. The whole time I’m thinking…don’t fall, don’t fall.

So, of course, Markus’ reaction is priceless. “Oh my God, Katie, what did you do?” So, next thing you know, security and the firemen are involved.

So, small victories and some small snafus seem to be pretty commonplace in my life right now.

By the way, the window did get fixed. Phewf.

3 comments:

  1. O.M.G. I am in tears at the Katie vs. the 400 pound window story! Your first few weeks and already the firemen know who you are. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of your descriptive talent, the visuals are still making me smile. I agree with Heather every blog I read just makes my day.
    You sure give your coworkers something to talk about at the dinner table:) FYI---Look for Spiegel-Reiniger it's a mirror cleaner. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I remember you told me you like dm so much… you should check out their website. They have a video that shows their products and which ones to use when cleaning the bathroom.
    Good luck!

    http://www.dm.de/cms/servlet/segment/de_homepage/haushalt/haushalt_bad/

    ReplyDelete